My sketchbooks are a place of pure play for me. Sketching is a way to experience where I am, a way of relating to where I live, what I’m doing, and where I’m going. With a sketchbook available, I always have entertainment – sketching people while waiting in line at Costco or the back of a pickup truck when stuck in traffic.

My sketchbox has traveled to Japan, Central America and Europe, and I can look at these and I’m immediately drawn back to what it was like to be there. I can remember exactly what was going on around me, even though it was years ago.

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Italy

My husband an I just returned from nearly a month of exploring and sketching  in Italy. It was a magical time, each day filled with discoveries  as we wandered the beautiful countryside and hilltop towns. We both sketch, and it became like a treasure hunt as we collected images and memories in our sketchbooks.
Also...food and wine.

 Our first week was in the home of friends in southern Tuscany with this view from the terrace, looking out over rolling hills and vineyards all the way to the Mediterranean! Memorable sunsets as we sipped local wine.

            Colorful windows and doorways, potted plants and charming little gardens everywhere.
Montemerano and Montalcino
   

 Gregorian chant filled the air during our visit to the Abbey of Sant'Antimo just south of
Montalcino. It is a beautiful Romanesque abbey near the Via Francigena, the ancient 
pilgrim route from Cantebury to Rome.



Waiting for lunch.


Boats! 
Porto Ercole


Marina Grande in Sorrento

180 degrees of Mediterranean blue from the rooftop of the Hotel Regina.
Mt Vesuvius with a cloud hat in the center.

The  view from our  kitchen window in Sorrento looking down at a portion of the old wall 
and the red rooftops. Church bells chimed on the hour.


This iconic grove of cyprus is just off the road near San Querico. They are a symbol of 
the Val D'Orico. As we sipped wine and sketched  a constant flow of cars pulled 
over to photograph.  

The colosseum in Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment