My sketchbooks are a place of pure play for me. Sketching is a way to experience where I am, a way of relating to where I live, what I’m doing, and where I’m going. With a sketchbook available, I always have entertainment – sketching people while waiting in line at Costco or the back of a pickup truck when stuck in traffic.

My sketchbox has traveled to Japan, Central America and Europe, and I can look at these and I’m immediately drawn back to what it was like to be there. I can remember exactly what was going on around me, even though it was years ago.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sketches from Whidbey Island

The birdfeeder in our neighbor's yard is what
I look out at when sitting at my computer.

From North Whidbey, looking toward Mt Erie
on the left and across to the La Conner area.

Deception Pass bridge on the north tip of Whidbey.

One of my favorite places on the Island is Crockett Lake
near the Port Townsend Ferry. It changes constantly
with the light and the seasons, and is filled with a wide
variety of birds.

Greenbank Cellars Vinyard in the fall.

Greenbank Farms , many many great walking paths.

Chochokum is Langley's summer Arts Fair.
This was the view from Whidbey Island Fine
Art Studio's booth, a center of demonstrating
artists and much fun.

Lucy is a landmark at the Recycling Center
near Freeland.
Music for the Eyes in Langley. I sipped
hot mint tea as I sketched, surrounded
by rugs and fabrics of every color
from all over the world.
Bayview Corner is the home of our
summer Farmer's Market. Definitely worth
a visit if you are on the Island!
High tide at Deer Lagoon
Barns at Hedgbrook, a creative retreat for
women writers.

Summer dahlias in our front yard.
Scarlet runners in our backyard.


Oaxaca cricket on my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment