My sketchbooks are a place of pure play for me. Sketching is a way to experience where I am, a way of relating to where I live, what I’m doing, and where I’m going. With a sketchbook available, I always have entertainment – sketching people while waiting in line at Costco or the back of a pickup truck when stuck in traffic.

My sketchbox has traveled to Japan, Central America and Europe, and I can look at these and I’m immediately drawn back to what it was like to be there. I can remember exactly what was going on around me, even though it was years ago.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

A week near Manzanillo, Mexico

The Whidbey Island Sketchers were invited to spend a week with a fellow sketcher at her Casa near Manzanillo, Mexico.
Actually, there were two Casas and four of us had a luxurious house and pool....all our own. Phyllis, our mentor and Barb were just below us, with another beautiful casa and infinity pool overlooking paradise. After an early morning flight from Seattle, we arrived to a wonderful dinner cooked by Susan and Bill, and an evening in the stunning infinity pool, margaritas included.
The week had begun.
Bougainvillea and hibiscus were in full bloom, and it felt like living in
a Mark Rothko painting. Total immersion in color.
Reds, fuschias, violets floated through the air and landed
in the turquoise pools.

Bougainvillea surrounded the pool at Casa Maya.

And all I had to do was turn around to this view.

I loved the constantly changing reflections in our pool.

Early mornings from our deck were soft and muted, filled
with sounds of birds and surf.

My favorite morning coffee chair.

And to my left....

Bougainvillea landed as I sketched.

Travelling with other sketchers made for long
relaxing days with just brushes and pens and amazing
subjects. Weeks of material in just this one place.
Thank you so much Phyllis!

Our pool buddy.
<

Pelican sentry at the beach.

Mangos for breakfast right out of the back yard.
What I love most about sketchbooks..
as I sit here in my warm wooly socks and double
layers of fleece, I can look at these images and go
right back to the warmth and color and
comraderie and all its memories. I love my camera,
but it's not the same experience.



4 comments:

  1. Your sketches are very beautiful, Faye. I feel the warmth and beauty of the place. Your description is enchanting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sketches and they really tell the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all th beautiful views just everywhere in Manzanillo, including the view I am seeing from my high-end boutique in manzanillo, you capture the mood and the color so well. Thanks!
    http://www.j-nacustomgsb.com/manzanillo_shopping.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Colors. Reminds me of Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete