My sketchbooks are a place of pure play for me. Sketching is a way to experience where I am, a way of relating to where I live, what I’m doing, and where I’m going. With a sketchbook available, I always have entertainment – sketching people while waiting in line at Costco or the back of a pickup truck when stuck in traffic.

My sketchbox has traveled to Japan, Central America and Europe, and I can look at these and I’m immediately drawn back to what it was like to be there. I can remember exactly what was going on around me, even though it was years ago.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sketching People


People watching is entertaining most anywhere, and where better than with a sketchbook. It's really just finding shape, both negative and positive...


This figure was just a simple flat shape as we sat at
Toby's in Coupeville.
Looking at negative shapes, angle and length of lines,
other overlapping figures were added.

More simple shapes were added with attention to scale.
People got up and left, others arrived .

Chairs and a little background anchor were added.


Color and more detail can be added after shapes are in place.
Gathering at the Brick in Roslyn


                                                    Afternoon at an art auction

                                       Pub sketching! Big Band at the Anchor in Everett.

                                      Checking the schedule on the Port Townsend ferry

                 The Whidbey Sketchers were invited to sketch at our local Retirement community.
                  Cisco came to visit on a sunny afternoon. His owner had a cast on his right foot,
                  not the fault of Cisco. Cisco charmed everyone.


We were also invited to join for Friday
Happy Hour, and residents gathered.

                                                     Russell Clapper on the guitar!

                                                      Random talking heads from TV...
                                                       Sometimes I'd rather focus on
                                                        drawing than on the news...

And, a little late, but every year the
Gage Academy in Seattle hosts an
entire day of great models at Drawing
Jam. First Saturday in December.
Rooms full of models and live
music! http://www.gageacademy.org/

I love the costume room! One hour
poses with amazing models.

    Back to my sketchbook, Spring is not far away. This is the view from Ebey Bluff on Whidbey Island          
          looking toward Seattle and Mt Rainier.

2 comments:

  1. Faye-- Find me at DanNelsonArt.com. I am doing a DVD series of art instruction for Jerry's Artarama. I Googled something and found your lovely sketches. I like your simple line drawings. May I use your "Gathering at the Brick in Roslyn" as a fine example of negative space? I like that you colored only the background. Your image would be flashed on the screen, and I will use your name. I am going to assume that this is acceptable to you unless I hear otherwise.

    ReplyDelete